What is Magoosh?
Magoosh is an online test prep company that offers affordable study programs and apps for the GRE, GMAT, ACT, SAT, LSAT, MCAT, TOEFL, IELTS, and Praxis. We believe all students should have access to effective ways to boost their test scores, so our prep is a fraction of the cost of traditional classes and tutors.
Features and Benefits:
- Study any time, on any device with the self-study desktop platform and free mobile apps.
- Thousands of timed practice questions.
- Video lessons taught by experts.
- Easy to follow targeted study schedules.
- Email assistance if you ever get stuck.
- Practice questions and video lessons.
- GRE: 1,300+ practice questions and 250+ video lessons.
- GMAT: 1,250+ practice questions and 300+ video lessons.
- ACT: 1,350+ practice questions and 250+ video lessons.
- SAT: 1,200+ practice questions and 200+ video lessons.
- TOEFL: 500+ practice questions and 150+ video lessons.
- MCAT: 700+ practice questions and 350+ video lessons.
- IELTS: 700+ practice questions and 100+ video lessons.
- LSAT: 600+ official practice questions, 650+ video lessons.
- Praxis: 350+ practice questions and 175+ video lessons.
- Video and text explanations for each practice question.
- The option to flag and/or take notes on each question.
- Statistical performance feedback by question type (e.g. Text Completion) and subject (e.g. Algebra).
- Full-length practice tests with estimated score predictions (GMAT, GRE, ACT, and MCAT).
- Score improvement for students retaking their exams (+5 pts GRE, +50 pts GMAT, +4 pts ACT, +100 pts SAT, +4 pts TOEFL, +5 pts LSAT, +0.5 pts IELTS).
- Free academic email support from our prompt and helpful Student Help Team. On average, students get a response in 5 hours.
- Online one-on-one tutoring for GRE and GMAT.
- Guided study schedule built into each student’s ACT prep dashboard.
Free Study Materials on Web, Mobile, and Voice:
- Magoosh’s test prep blogs, which feature free, high-quality information on standardized tests and admissions, receive over 15M annual visitors.
- Magoosh’s test prep YouTube channels, with lessons from expert instructors, get over 4M views each year.
- The Magoosh Vocabulary Chrome Extension has more than 34K downloads and a 5-star rating. The extension shows you a new GRE vocabulary word each time you open a new browser tab in Chrome and has been featured in The Daily Muse.
- Free Android and iOS apps for on-the-go test prep (perfect for studying on a commute or during downtime when students are away from their computers).
- Free Android and iOS apps for adaptive vocabulary building.
- Full web product accessible via mobile browser.
- The Vocabulary Builder app. Released in 2015, this app has been downloaded more than 6.4 million times and has been featured in The Washington Post, Buzzfeed, and the Hindustan Times.
- Magoosh’s Amazon Alexa Skills Vocabulary Builder, Spelling Game, and Spelling Game for Kids were released in mid-2017 and have over 10K weekly users.
What are some key metrics?
- Magoosh students have answered more than 187 million questions, watched over 2M hours of video, and have virtually flipped Magoosh study flashcards more than 1.3 billion times.
- Magoosh has 33 full-time, in-office employees with an extended team of more than 60 remote tutors and content creators working all over the world.
- Magoosh has been cash-flow positive for roughly seven years.
- Magoosh has a Net Promoter Score of 60+.
- On average, students using Magoosh report improving their scores by 5 points on the GRE, 50 points on the GMAT and 4 points on the TOEFL.
Who are you?
We’re the Magoosh team. Nice to meet you! We’re a bunch of education nerds who get super stoked about helping students achieve their academic dreams. As the demand for high test scores has grown, admission to top schools has become almost unattainable for those who can’t afford expensive prep classes and tutors. We’re changing that by helping millions of students study at their own pace, and on their own time – regardless of location, social status, or background.
What is Magoosh’s mission?
Our mission is simple: create products that give students everywhere access to enjoyable, affordable, and effective test prep. The Magoosh Team’s goal is to make it easier for more students to harvest the rewards of advanced education.
We aim to enrich our society by making education more accessible and helping more of those who dream of an advanced degree, a better position, and a more fulfilling lifestyle, get what they seek. Magoosh is a play on an Old Persian word “magush”: one who is highly learned, wise, and generous.
It’s accessible: We have students in over 185 countries! Regardless of your background, where you live, or your path to higher education, you can study with Magoosh. We’re proud to offer high-quality prep without an enormous price tag.
It’s effective: Results matter, especially for test prep. With Magoosh, you’ll always be studying with the most up-to-date, top-notch materials. We use data-driven techniques based on millions of students’ answers to improve our questions and lessons.
It’s enjoyable: We believe that learning should be fun and rewarding. Our team of test prep experts and tutors are not only smart, but eager to make learning fun and interesting.
What is Magoosh’s business model?
Magoosh charges students one-time upfront for a fixed period of access from 2 weeks to 1 year. Our premium subscriptions plans are a fraction of the price of other classes and/or tutors. To see what kind of subscriptions we offer visit our pricing pages: GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, SAT, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, Praxis.
Who are Magoosh’s investors?
Magoosh is backed by a group of excellent investors including Kapor Capital, Bee Partners, and 500 Startups. A full list of investors is available on the Press Page.